Submitted by Becky Goldstein, Public Affairs Specialist- Lake Mary, FL, North Florida Area Social Security Administration



My neighbor, who is retired, told me that the income he receives from his part-time job at the local nursery gives him an increase in his Social Security benefits. Is that right?


Retirees who return to work after they start receiving benefits may be able to receive a higher benefit based on those earnings. This is because Social Security automatically re-computes the retirement benefit after crediting the additional earnings to the individual’s earnings record.         Learn more by reading the publication, How Work Affects Your Benefits, at



I plan to retire soon. When will my monthly Social Security benefits be paid?


Social Security benefits are paid each month. Generally, new retirees receive their benefits on either the second, third, or fourth Wednesday of each month, depending on the day in the month the retiree was born. If you receive benefits as a spouse, your benefit payment date will be determined by your spouse’s birth date.

Here’s a chart showing how your monthly payment date is determined:


Day of the Month You Were Born

Social Security Benefits Paid On


Second Wednesday


Third Wednesday


Fourth Wednesday


For a calendar showing actual payment dates, see the Schedule of Social Security Benefit Payments at




What is a Social Security Statement, and how can I get a copy?


Your online Social Security Statement gives you secure and convenient access to your earnings records. It also shows estimates for retirement, disability, and survivors benefits you and your family may be eligible for. You can get your personal Statement online by using your own my Social Security account. If you don’t yet have an account, you can easily create one.

To set up or use your account to get your online Statement, go to

We also mail Statements to workers attaining ages 25, 30, 35, 40, 45, 50, 55, 60 and older, three months prior to their birthday, if they don’t receive Social Security benefits and don’t have a my Social Security account. If you don’t want to wait for your Statement, you can access it online, whatever time of year you need it.



My son, who gets Social Security, will attend his last year of high school in the fall. He turns 19 in a few months. Do I need to fill out a form for his benefits to continue?


Yes. You should receive a form, SSA-1372-BK, in the mail about three months before your son’s birthday. Your son needs to complete the form and take it to his school’s office for certification. Then, you need to return page two and the certified page three to Social Security for processing. If you can’t find the form we mailed to you, you can find it online at




Will my eligibility for the Extra Help with Medicare prescription drug plan costs be reviewed and, if so, how often?


If you get the Extra Help, Social Security may contact you to review your status. This reassessment will ensure you remain eligible for Extra Help and you are receiving all the benefits you deserve. Annually, usually at the end of August, we may send you a form to complete: Social Security Administration Review of Your Eligibility for Extra Help. You will have 30 days to complete and return this form. Any necessary adjustments to the Extra Help will be effective in January of the following year. Go to for more information.



Make plans for your “Someday;” create your own my Social Security account at