Articles & News

2020 Census Update: Time is running out for responding to the census

The U.S. Constitution requires a census every 10 years. The census covers the entire country and everyone living here. The first census was in 1790.

Taking part is your civic duty. Completing the census is required: it’s a way to participate in our democracy and say “I COUNT!”

After each census, state officials use the results to redraw the boundaries of their congressional and state legislative districts adapting to population shifts.

Census data also determines how more than $675 billion are spent, supporting your state, county and community’s vital programs.

The Census Bureau has announced that with door-to-door visits by census takers now underway, the U.S. Census Bureau is informing households that they may also receive a follow-up visit to ensure everyone is counted in the 2020 Census.

So far, 64.9% of all housing units have responded online, by phone or by mail, and another 17.5% have been counted by census takers and other field data collection operations in Seminole County. In total, over 82.4% of all housing units throughout the nation have been accounted for in the 2020 Census as of Aug. 30.

The Census Bureau is working to count the remaining households—about 1 in every 5 households across the nation (Source: U.S. Census Bureau). In addition, the Bureau’s Mobile Questionnaire Assistance program is underway to assist residents in responding to the 2020 Census (Source: U.S. Census Bureau).

If you haven’t already responded to the 2020 Census, please visit: www.2020census.gov.

Click here to download Federal Aid to States for Fiscal Year 2010 report

 

2020-09-04T10:20:33-04:00September 4th, 2020|In the Community|
X