Submitted by: Peggy R. Hoyt, J.D., M.B.A., The Law Offices of Hoyt & Bryan, LLC, Family Wealth & Legacy Counsellors, One Senior Place Resident Business

If you’re in a committed relationship, you probably want your partner to take care of things for you if you can’t speak for yourself. To ensure this, you must prepare the right legal documents.

If you ever become unable to make your own healthcare decisions or manage your own finances — because of injury, serious illness or advanced age — you probably want your partner to step in and take care of you. Unfortunately, members of unmarried couples, unlike their married counterparts, often aren’t permitted to handle medical or financial decisions for each other without signed authorization.

There are a few simple legal documents you should prepare if you want to ensure that critical decisions stay in the hands of your partner: healthcare directives and a durable power of attorney for finances. Without these documents, your partner may face tremendous emotional and practical problems if he or she tries to act for you in the event of a medical emergency or handle a simple financial transaction on your behalf. At worst, your healthcare and finances may be placed in the hands of a biological relative who won’t consider your partner’s input. And this relative may well make decisions that go against what you want.

Fortunately, the documents you need are straightforward and usually easy to complete.

Healthcare Directives
Every state has laws authorizing individuals to create simple documents setting out their wishes concerning the type of medical treatment they do or do not want to receive if they become unable to communicate their preferences. These documents may also name someone to direct their care. Healthcare directives are particularly important for unmarried partners. If you don’t take the time to prepare them and you become incapacitated, doctors will turn to a family member designated by state law to make medical decisions for you. Most states list spouses, adult children, and parents as top-priority decisionmakers, making no mention of unmarried partners.

A few states do include partners in their list of potential surrogate decision-makers — including Arizona, Delaware, Maine, and New Mexico. However, only New Mexico gives priority to a long-term partner. Other states make room for unmarried partners (sometimes classifying them as “close friends”) only if listed family members are unavailable. No matter what state you live in, you can save your partner a great deal of time and trouble by planning ahead.

There are two documents that permit you to set out your healthcare wishes, both grouped under the broad label “healthcare directives.” First, you need a “declaration,” a written statement you make directly to medical personnel that spells out your wishes for medical

care if you become incapacitated. Your declaration functions as a contract with your treating doctor, who must either honor your wishes for healthcare or transfer you to another doctor or facility that will honor them.

The second document is usually called a “durable power of attorney for healthcare.” In this document you appoint the person you choose — most likely your partner — to see that your doctors and other healthcare providers give you the kind of medical care you want to receive. You can also use your durable power of attorney for healthcare to give your partner (who may be called your “attorney-in-fact,” “agent,” or “proxy” depending on where you live) other rights to participate in your medical care, including:
• directing your healthcare under any circumstances that you don’t specifically address in your declaration
• hiring and firing medical personnel
• visiting you in the hospital or other facility even when other visiting is restricted
• having access to medical records and other personal information, and
• getting court authorization to enforce your healthcare wishes if a hospital or doctor refuses to honor them for any reason.

In some states, your declaration and durable power of attorney for healthcare will be combined into a single document, often called an “Advance Healthcare Directive.”

You can make valid healthcare directives if you are at least 18 years old and of sound mind. Being of sound mind essentially means that you are able to understand what the document means, what it contains and how it works. Physically disabled people may make valid healthcare documents; they can direct another to sign for them if they are unable to do so.

As long as you are of sound mind, you can change or revoke your healthcare directives at any time.

Durable Powers of Attorney for Finances
A durable power of attorney for finances allows you to name someone you trust (called your “attorney-in-fact” or “agent”) to handle your finances if you become unable to take care of yourself. Every state recognizes this type of document.

As with documents directing medical care, you should seriously consider making a durable power of attorney for finances if you want your partner to manage your money if you can’t. If you don’t prepare the document and you later become incapacitated, your partner or other family members will have to ask a court for authority over your financial affairs. These proceedings, called “conservatorship proceedings,” can be time-consuming and expensive — and they can be disastrous for unmarried couples if the court names another family member to take over, especially if your finances have been intertwined with those of your partner for a long time.

You can make your financial power of attorney effective immediately or you can specify that it should go into effect only if you become incapacitated; the latter is called a “springing” power of attorney. While some people are more comfortable making a springing document, an immediately effective document holds a potential advantage for unmarried couples in a long-term trusting relationship. If you make your document effective immediately, your partner can handle financial transactions for you at any time, even when you are not incapacitated. This can be useful if you are out of town, under the weather or temporarily unavailable for any other reason.

When you make a durable power of attorney for finances, you can give your partner (or other attorney-in-fact) as much or as little control over your finances as you wish. The powers you grant may include:
• using your assets to pay your bills and everyday expenses
• buying, selling, maintaining, paying taxes, on and mortgaging real estate and other property
• collecting benefits from Social Security, Medicare, or other government programs or civil or military service
• investing your money in stocks, bonds, and mutual funds
• handling transactions with banks and other financial institutions
• buying and selling insurance policies and annuities for you
• filing and paying your taxes
• operating your small business
• claiming property you inherit or are otherwise entitled to
• hiring someone to represent you in court, and
• managing your retirement accounts.

Whatever powers you give your attorney-in-fact, he or she is legally required to act in your best interests.

Like healthcare directives, you can make a durable power of attorney for finances if you are at least 18 years old and of sound mind. And as long as you are of sound mind, you can change or cancel your document at any time.


продвижение seo вот ссылка Как проверить видимость сайта в поисковых выдачах Сегодняшний урок поискового продвижения для блоггеров и начинающих сеошников посвящен оценке популярности веб-ресурса в важных поисковиках Рунета